- Group of first terrestrial plants having vascular tissue viz. Xylem & Phloem.
- True stem, root & leaf.
- Found on damp, shady places.
- Sporophyte makes main plant body.
-Sporophyllsof Sporophyte bear sporangia (sori) onventral side producing haploid spores.
-spores give rise to Prothallus which is leafy & autotrophic.
- Prothallus bears sex organs – male – Antheridium and female-Archegonium.
- Fertilisation leads into zygote formation which produces diploid Sporophyte.
Heterospory and Seed habit:
- Two types of spores Microspore and Megaspore are produced in some members viz. Selaginella, Salvinia. - called Heterospory.
- Heterospory is considered as begining of seed habit in terrestrial plants.
- eg. Pteris, Dryopteris etc.