Bryophytes The Amphibians of plant Kingdom
Bryophytes ( Amphibians of plant Kingdom) –
- Group of autotrophic plants with thallus having true roots, stem and leaves with multi cellular sex organs.
- Occurs on damp, humid and shaded soil.
- Root like rhizoids present.
- Main plant body gametophyte bears Antheridia and Archegonia.
- Biflagellate antherozoidsproduced from Antheridium and reach through water to egg in Archegonium.
- Zygote forms sporophyte which produces haploid spores to give rise to new plants.