Features of a democratic election:
- Every adult citizen should be able to choose. This means that every adult citizen should have one vote and each vote shall carry equal weight.
- Elections should offer choices to the people. There should be various political parties and candidates to choose from.
- The choice of selecting the rulers should be offered at regular intervals. In India, elections are normally held after every five years.
- The most preferred candidate should get elected. In India, we follow the first past the post system, i.e. the candidate who secures the maximum number of valid votes is declared a winner.
- Elections should be held in free and fair manner and people should be in a position to cast their votes without fear or favour.