What is a solution? What are the properties of a solution
What is a solution? What are the properties of a solution?
A homogeneous mixture of two or more substances is called a solution.
Properties of a solution
1. A solution is a homogeneous mixture i.e. the solute and solvent molecules cannot be distinguished even under a microscope.
2. The particles of a solution are smaller than 1 nm in diameter. So, they cannot be seen by naked eyes.
3. A true solution is clear and transparent ( A few may be coloured one but clear. e.g. Copper Sulphate solution)
4. Because of very small particle size, they do not scatter a beam of light passing through the solution. So, the path of light is not visible in a solution.
5. The solute particles cannot be separated from the mixture by the process of filtration.
6. The solute particles do not settle down when left undisturbed, that is, a solution is stable.