What did a patriotic French citizen wear in France after the French Revolution
What did a patriotic French citizen wear in France after the French Revolution?
Answer: French revolution put an end to sumptuary laws imposed by the royalty and elite class. The revolution overthrew of the French aristocracy which ended extravagant fashion. Patriotic French did the following changes in his dress:
1. Members of Jacobin clubs started calling themselves 'San Culottes'
2. After the revolution, it was the income not the social rank which decided a person's clothing.
3. Men and women began to wear loose and comfortable clothing.
4. The colours of France became popular and were used in dress codes.
5. The red cap of liberty, long trousers and the revolutionary cockade pinned on a hat became fashion — these were political symbols.
6. Simplicity of clothing was meant to express the idea of equality.