Properties Of Suspensions Of Matter Around Us
What are the properties of suspensions?
Answer: Following are the properties or important features of suspensions:
1. Heterogeneous nature: Suspension is a cloudy heterogeneous mixture.
2. Particle Size: solute particles are of size of order 10-5 m ( larger than 100 nano-m)
3. Visibility: The particles can be seen with unaided eye or under simple microscope. Particles scatter a beam of light passing through it so path is visible.
4. Sedimentation: The larger particles have tendency to settle down while the very fine particles remain suspended in the medium.
5. Separation by filtration: Larger particles of suspension can be filtered out from fluid medium.