Discuss the brief the popular struggle of Bolivia ?
- Bolivia is a poor country in Latin America the world bank pressurized the government to give up its control of municipal water supply.
- The govt. sold these tights for the city of Cochabamba to a MNC.
- The MNC immediately increased the price of water by four times.
- Many people received water bills of Rs- 1000 where as their average monthly income was Rs. 5000/ month.
- In January 2000 a new alliance of labour, human rights and community leaders organized a successful our days general strike in the city and the govt. agreed to negotiate. Yet nothing happened.
- The agitation started again in February but the police restored to brutal repression.
- Another strike followed in April and the govt. imposed martial law.
- But the power of the people forced the officials of the MNC and the govt. to concede to all the demands of the protesters.
- Finally the contract with the MNC was cancelled and water supply was restored to the municipality at old rates.