– Group of first terrestrial plants having vascular tissue viz. Xylem & Phloem.
– True stem, root & leaf.
– Found on damp, shady places.
– Sporophyte makes main plant body.
–Sporophyllsof Sporophyte bear sporangia (sori) onventral side producing haploid spores.
-spores give rise to Prothallus which is leafy & autotrophic.
– Prothallus bears sex organs – male – Antheridium and female-Archegonium.
– Fertilisation leads into zygote formation which produces diploid Sporophyte.
Heterospory and Seed habit:
– Two types of spores Microspore and Megaspore are produced in some members viz. Selaginella, Salvinia. – called Heterospory.
– Heterospory is considered as begining of seed habit in terrestrial plants.
– eg. Pteris, Dryopteris etc.