– Group of plants having covered seeds in fruits.
– Produce flowers having reproductive organs.
– Most evolved plants.
– Large no. of plants in varied habitats, small microscopic plants (Wolfia) to large trees.
– Reproduction by vegetative and sexual methods.
– In sexual reproduction pollens shed off and reach to stigma of Gynoecium by pollination.
– Pollen germinates to form pollen tube with two male gametes and one tube nucleus.
– One gamete fuses with egg (Syngamy) and other with secondary nucleus to form PEN (primary endosperm nucleus). The whole process is called Double fertilization.
– Zygote forms embryo and PEN forms Endosperm in ovule which changes into seed inside fruit.
– Ovary wall changes into Pericarp (fruit wall).
– Alternation of generation occours.