Kingdom Fungi –
– Fungi are a group of achlorophyllous, heterotrophic organisms with cell wall without cellulose.
– Saprophyte or Parasite or Symbiotic.
– Useful and Harmful both.
– Prefer to grow in warm and humid places.
– Unicellular (eg. Yeast) to multicellular filamentous body calledmycelium.
– One unit of mycelium called hypha .
– Mycelia maybe coenocytic (no septum) or septate.
– Lichens – Symbiotic association of fungus and algae.
– Mycorrhiza – Symbiotic association of fungi with root of higher plants eg. Pinus.
– Reproduction –Vegetative : by fragmentation and by spores.Sexual: by gametes.
– Three steps in sexual reproduction
1) Plasmogamy – fusion of protoplasm.
2) Karyogamy – fusion of nuclei.
3) Meiosis of zygote.